You can make a lot of recipes with Tofu or Tokwa. One of the recipes you should try is making Tofu or Tokwa Sisig.
Before frying the Tofu, you will need to drain it first or use a tofu press to remove the excess water. This will make the tofu tastier and it will also make the cooking time faster.
If you don’t have a tofu press, put the tofu on a strainer and place it on a pot. Put a paper towel on top of the tofu and place a heavy object on top. The excess water from the tofu will go right into the pot. Drain the tofu for half an hour or overnight. If draining the tofu overnight, place it inside the fridge.
Fry the Tofu
Cut the tofu into slices. Heat the frying pan and add cooking oil. Once the oil is hot, add the tofu slices and fry until both sides are crispy and golden brown. Remove from the pan, let it cool and cut into cubes. Set aside.
Stir Fry and Add Flavor to the Tofu
Prepare all the ingredients as it will only take a few minutes to cook the Tofu Sisig. Remove the cooking oil from the pan that was used for frying the tofu.
Heat up and melt the butter on the pan. Add the garlic and sauté until golden brown. Add the red onions or shallots and sauté until translucent.
Add the fried tofu cubes, Maggi Seasoning, lemon juice, and mayonnaise. Mix until well blended.
Add the chopped red bell peppers and ground black pepper. Mix well. Cook for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Transfer the Tofu Sisig to a serving bowl. Serve and enjoy!
Tofu or Tokwa Sisig
- 700 grams Tofu Traditional or medium firm
- 2-3 cups Cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 3 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 medium Red Onion or Shallots finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons Maggi Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice or to taste
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Cup Red bell peppers chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground black pepper or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili flakes optional
Prepare and Fry the Tofu
- Before frying, drain the tofu on a tofu press to remove excess water
- Heat the pan and put oil for frying. Once the oil is hot, put the tofu on the pan
- Fry the tofu until both sides are golden brown and crispy
- Remove the tofu from the pan. Let it cool.
- Cut the tofu into cubes. Set aside.
Stir fry and Add Flavor to the Tofu
- Remove the cooking oil from the pan. Heat the pan and add the butter.
- Add the chopped garlic. Sauté the garlic until golden brown
- Add the chopped red onions or shallots. Sauté the onions until translucent
- Add the fried tofu cubes
- Add Maggi Seasoning, lemon juice and Mayonnaise. Mix until well incorporated.
- Add chopped red bell peppers and ground black pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the Tofu Sisig on a serving plate. Serve and enjoy!